Nothing is more satisfying than crunching leaves underfoot as you take a crisp walk through the autumn air. Fall is a great time to get outside and get moving. The weather is still warm enough to be comfortable but not so warm that you get overheated easily. Take advantage of the crisp temperatures and go on a walking adventure. And with so many fall activities to take advantage of, why not plan a health excursion for the whole family!
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Apple or pumpkin picking. Joining in the fall harvest is great way to kill two birds with one stone. Not only are you getting some great exercise searching for that perfect pumpkin or pick the freshest produce nature has to offer, but you are also getting the ingredients for a great healthy meal. Recent studies have shown your mother may be right: an apple a day may indeed keep the doctor away. And pumpkins are a great source of beta-carotene, fiber, and so much more.
So pack your water bottle and get yourself to your local U-Pick ‘Em farm. The kids will love the chance to pick their favorite fruits and veggies and you’ll get your workout in all at the same time!
2. Corn Mazes. Corn mazes are a great family friendly activity that can provide you with hours of physical as well as mental exercise. Also, since many corn mazes can be found alongside local farms, you might just have great access to fresh local produce to take home too!
3. Trick-or-Treating. Trick-or-Treating is a great way to get in a walk around the block and get to know your neighborhood as well as your neighbors. The kids will be full of energy as they rush from door to door, so you may get in some good sprints too! Just be careful of the treats. If will power is not enough for you, take a look at the calorie break down of these common Halloween treats as inspiration to keep you on the straight and narrow.
Why not also eat a healthy meal before going out in costume and making sure that healthy Halloween treats like unsalted popcorn and apple slices await you at home to make sure you resist the temptation to dive into the goody bag. And make sure your costume is comfortable so that you encourage yourself to keep moving all night!
4. Fall leaf watch. Nothing is more beautiful than watching the leaves turn. Find your favorite nature trail or local park and let the beauty of the season sink in. And why not take your camera along with you? The inspirational pictures you take may just motivate more than just you and your family. Find out when the peak time for fall color is in your area and get outside!
5. Ghost tours. Celebrate the season with a good scare while also learning a bit about the local color of your community. Whether you are into spooks or not, you can often learn a lot of history from local folklore. The whole family will have a great seasonal time and get some exercise in to boot!
Do you take pictures when you go out for a walk? Why not share your favorite hikes with us on Facebook and Twitter, or start a conversation at SparkPeople.com and MyFitnessPal! We’d love to be inspired by your adventures